I ADORE caramel corn. “Is it possible to adore food? ” you may ask. Hmm, one taste of this treat and you won’t be questioning my word choice any longer. This recipe, which I have stolen from the classic Betty Crocker Cookbook, is delicious! It even gives the legendary Chicago, Garrett Popcorn a run for their money.
Step aside holiday cookie swap…caramel corn is in the house! This old-fashioned treat has the power to turn girls’ sappy movie night into gourmet snack night; a 2-year-old’s carnival birthday party into the event of the season; and a man’s heart into putty. Need I say more!
Let’s get popping!
12 cups popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter
¼ cup dark corn syrup
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups pecan halves (optional)
How to make the best homemade caramel corn in the world!
1. Either use an air popper or simply grab some unsalted and un-buttered, microwaveable popcorn bags. Pop enough to get 12 cups of popped popcorn.
2. Let’s get things heated up! Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Farenheit.
3. Divide your popcorn (and pecans if you are using them) between two 13x9x2 inch ungreased rectangular pans. Spread out the popcorn evenly in the pans. (to make clean up easier…line each pan with aluminum foil)
4. Carefully heat your brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in 3 quart sauce pan. Keep your temp on medium to prevent scorching and make sure to stir occasionally. You want your sauce to become bubbly around the edges. Cook for a total of about 5 minutes while continuing to occasionally stir.
5. After 5 minutes and bubbly around the edges, remove your sauce from the heat and stir in your baking soda.
6. Pour your sauce over your popcorn and stir until all of the popcorn is well coated.
7. Pop your pans into the oven and bake for 1 hour. Wait!!!! Don’t just set the timer and walk away! You need to stir your popcorn every 15 minutes!
8. OMgoodness!!!! Crunchy, Munchy, Caramel Goodness! Bag it up and give it away as Christmas gifts! Throw it in a decorative tin and take it to the holiday party at the office. Keep it in a Tupperware at home and munch all day long!